Butterfly Sparks Designs

12.28.2010

Single in this season...

Tuesday, December 28, 2010
The Waiting Room: Why I'm Still Single

By: Laura Stephens

Lately, it seems more and more people keep asking why I’m not married yet. I’m 29 and apparently I should be worried about being nearly 30 and still single. But…I’m not at all. There are so many reasons why I’m content with my life even if a husband isn’t in the picture. In fact, you could even say that I’m choosing to view my singleness as a privilege. Yes, it’s true. There are a lot of things to be thankful for in this stage of my life. Here, I’ll even list a few of my favorite things about being on my own.

* The ability to travel frequently all over the United States with my job. I’m gone a lot and I realize this wouldn’t be possible or wise if I were married. So…I’m loving this part of my life mucho gusto.
* Spending money and giving it away on things I decide on. This may appear a bit selfish but I really do enjoy buying things like pretty dresses or concert tickets without checking with another person.
* Sleeping late. No further explanation needed.
* Freedom to serve and give of my time and resources. I have a lot more free time than friends of mine who are married and have children. It’s fun and fulfilling to do things like volunteer at a homeless shelter, bake cookies for the elderly, go on mission trips with my church, etc.
* SLUMBER PARTIES! I love having my girl friends over and staying up late and being as loud as we want. I’ll never forget these times.
* Dating. It’s fun. I find joy and energy in meeting new people. Personally, I see nothing wrong with going on dates as long as I’m honest about how I’m feeling.
* Did I mention the freedom to travel? Oh yes, I’m mentioning it again because I’m planning a trip to Ireland/Scotland in a few months and it’s possible because of my stage of life. Are you tired of that saying yet? Hehe. Well…it’s the only one I can think of.
* Exploring passions and hobbies that I never thought I could do. I’m in the middle of so many projects – photography, music, blogging, creating, thrifting, sewing, a full time job I love, a new part time job at Urban Outfitters just because I’ve always wanted to and have the time, crafting, travel…and on and on and on. Life is so good.
* My apartment smells like a girl. Yea, I like that.
* Having the freedom to stay in Dallas or move across the country to Portland, OR. I have a crush on Portland and want to move there eventually. This would be a lot harder to do if I were married with little kiddos.
* Spoiling my adorable little niece. She won’t be here until February BUT I’m planning on loving on her every second I get because she’s the only baby my attention is going towards at the moment.
* Spending the holiday with my family instead of juggling the time. I’m soaking up the moments I have with my family because I know there could be a day when I have to pick and choose which holiday is spent where.
* Enjoying the life I have can be done without a husband. Basically, I’m content.

I’m content because I haven’t felt the way my married friends have about another person. I’m content because there is more to life than being married. I’m content because there’s a lot of living left to do and time goes by so quickly. And I’m content because I’m not ready for marriage…simple as that. Will I ever be? Possibly. But if not, I’m content knowing God knew my life would be ok without it. Maybe even great, and so far it has been.

Laura Stephens
Location: Dallas, TX
Blog: http://sunshineandstarlight.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment