Butterfly Sparks Designs

12.22.2010

More Thoughts on Singleness...

By Guest Blogger Elisabeth Dunn!

The Waiting Room: No Compromise

One of the most common things that you hear about relationships is that they are full of compromise. Give and take. I am a single young woman. I have never had a boyfriend nor have I ever been in a serious courting relationship. I would like to suggest that as young women waiting for the right man to come along we should be a lot less willing to compromise in certain areas of our lives. I would also like to add that I am writing from a single girl's point of view and I am fully aware that my opinion on this matter might change when I meet my husband, but until then...

My Father told me once that it was very important to marry a man that had a similar call to mine so that I would not feel like I needed to lay down part of my calling in order to marry him. I often find myself confused by young women who date men that they can't see themselves spending the rest of their lives with. It makes me wonder what they are giving up just to play the dating game. I do not believe that we have time to waste on shallow relationships.

This might seem harsh, but how many girlfriends have you sat and cried over a broken heart with? How many times have you heard a girl say she became someone else to be with "him"? How many times have you heard a girl say I changed everything about myself? Or I gave "him" everything? Please believe me I am not trying to make men out to be evil, but for some reason sometimes even without being pressured to, we change everything about ourselves for the attention of a man. A compromise a girl should never make.

I believe that the man is the head of the household and when the time comes I will submit to my husband's authority, but before I even consider a relationship with a man I must know that he has a heart for the nations. Specifically for Israel and Ethiopia. I have to know that he will go wherever the Lord says to go. He has to have a heart for children and orphans. He must love family. These are things I will not compromise on. I will not give these up.

A close friend of mine told me once that marriage isn't about two halves becoming one. It is about two whole people becoming one. I am doing everything I can to be a completely whole person before I meet my husband. The callings that the Lord places on our lives as women is every bit as important as the calling he has placed on our future husband's lives. I just think that sometimes we forget this. I believe there would be a lot less broken hearts if as women we would be less willing to compromise the most important parts of who we are.

Waiting for your husband isn't a sit and twiddle your thumbs kind of thing. God has made us to do great things. You wouldn't want to miss out on something because you are waiting for a man do them with. Who knows he might come sooner than you think if you aren't just sitting around waiting.

Elisabeth Dunn
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Blog: http://elisabethdunn.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment