Butterfly Sparks Designs

5.09.2010

To call her blessed

My mom & I have always been close...ok, I should rephrase that. My mom & I have been close since I've been in my 20s. We may have had a few struggles when I was a (rebellious) teenager. I try & block that time out. Don't get me wrong...I loved her then, I just didn't understand her advice or her way of thinking. I didn't get why I couldn't just do the things I wanted to do in the way I wanted to do them. At times, I thought she was trying to make my life more difficult.

I've grown up a little since I was a teenager. Ok, hopefully a lot. At least enough to appreciate my mom more every year. And on Mother's Day, a day to celebrate moms, I was reminded that I can't imagine my life without her. She's become more than just my mom, she's my best friend. She's also a spiritual mentor in my life, which is something I'm probably most grateful for. As I've gotten older & grown more in my walk with God, I find myself turning to her for wisdom & advice...a lot. Sometimes, she says exactly what I need to hear...and sometimes she says what I don't want to hear, but know I need. I know that the Lord has given me a gift; not everyone can say they have that type of relationship with their mom. I don't ever want to take her for granted. I'm not saying my mom's perfect, but I have learned so much from her insight. In Proverbs 31, verse 28, it says, "Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her." I could insert my mom's name in there. She is most definitely a Proverbs 31 woman...something that I aspire to be.

To have your children rise & call you blessed and your husband praise you is the highest honor & calling a woman can have on this earth. I really believe that. Mainly because God invented the idea of a wife and a mother. And when a woman knows how to be a good wife AND a good mom, she's a blessing not only to her family, but to those she encounters.

I have many friends who have exemplified the definition of a godly wife & mother. And from firsthand experience, it's so refreshing to see. Especially when this world doesn't seem to place as much value on honoring your role as a wife or mother.

So, this blog is dedicated to my beautiful friends who are wives and/or moms, and of course, to my own mom. I hope that I can be that godly example to someone else one day & take what I've learned & witnessed into my future marriage & family.

No comments:

Post a Comment